Thank you for your interest in New Dances 2022!
Thodos Dance Chicago and DanceWorks Chicago are excited to build on and continue a shared tradition of developing choreographic talent while serving Chicago’s dance community. New Dances has been part of Chicago’s dance history for 39 years, originating with Chicago Repertory Dance Ensemble. In 2022, New Dances comes of age under the TDC umbrella, celebrating 21 years of offering a platform for early career choreographers to create new work with artistic, logistic, and financial support.
CALLING ALL DANCEMAKERS: Chicago and Chicagoland-based emerging and mid-career choreographers working in any dance genre(s) are invited to apply to create new work to be produced in New Dances 2022 during Chicago Dance Month in June 2022 at The Athenaeum Center, Studio A!
Interested in being a New Dances 2022 company dancer? Visit our Dancer Audition Page!
Applications are due by 5pm (Central time) on Tuesday, March 1.
- Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- New Dances 2022 is dedicated to creating a safe space for artists, and in that spirit, fully vaccinated individuals, as defined by the most up-to-date CDC guidelines, are invited to apply. Providing proof of vaccination will be part of the application process.
- As New Dances is focused on supporting artists who have made a commitment to the Chicago community, please respect the residency requirement: Choreographer must reside in Chicago or a suburb of Chicago as of March 1, 2022.
New Dances 2022 venue partners are Dovetail Studios, Ruth Page Center for the Arts, and The Athenaeum Center.
- Sunday, April 24, 12:30pm-4:30pm: Dancer Audition and Choreographer Meeting at Dovetail Studios.
- Monday – Friday, June 6 – 10, 9:30am-4:30pm: Classes and rehearsals at Dovetail Studios
- Monday – Friday, June 13 – 17, 9:30am-4:30pm: Classes and rehearsals at Ruth Page Center for the Arts
- Saturday, June 11, 10am – 2pm (to be confirmed): Showing for Mentorship Panel at Dovetail Studios
- Tuesday – Sunday, June 21 – 26 (Day and Evening times TBA): Tech Week and Performances at The Athenaeum Center, Studio A
New Dances 2022 Choreographers will be given:
- 22.5 hours of creative time at Dovetail Studios and the Ruth Page Center + tech/production time at The Athenaeum Center, Studio A.
- Access to the New Dances Company artists (including DanceWorks Chicago dancers) for casting for the purposes of creating a NEW Dance.
- Complimentary Open Company Classes and access to PT provided by Athletico Physical Therapy.
- Feedback and mentorship from a panel of seasoned members of Chicago’s dance community.
- An honorarium of $550 to cover the creation of the work from studio to stage and teaching of one company class during the creative period.
Melissa Thodos, Artistic Director Thodos Dance Chicago, and Julie Nakagawa, Artistic Director DanceWorks Chicago, will assess applications, and invitations will be extended to a select group of choreographers. Each applicant will hear back regarding the status of their application by Tuesday, March 15.
We look forward to getting to know you and your work!
This program is partially supported by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency.