Thank you for your interest in New Dances 2022!
Thodos Dance Chicago and DanceWorks Chicago are excited to build on and continue a shared tradition of developing choreographic talent while serving Chicago’s dance community. New Dances has been part of Chicago’s dance history for 39 years, originating with Chicago Repertory Dance Ensemble. In 2022, New Dances comes of age under the TDC umbrella, celebrating 21 years of offering a platform for early career choreographers to create new work with artistic, logistic, and financial support.
CALLING ALL DANCERS: Chicago and Chicagoland-based dancers skilled in a variety of dance genres are invited to apply to join the New Dances Company. Please complete the Dancer Registration Form (available on March 15) in order to attend the audition on Sunday, April 24 at 1pm at Dovetail Studios. New Dances Choreographers; Melissa Thodos, Artistic Director Thodos Dance Chicago; and Julie Nakagawa, Artistic Director DanceWorks Chicago, will conduct the audition. New Dances choreographers will assess applicants and invitations will be extended to a select group of dancers. Each applicant will hear back regarding their application by Tuesday, May 3.
New Dances 2022 choreographers: Kaleigh Dent, Brandon DiCriscio, Trey Johnson, Marco Pizano, MurdaMommy, and Taylor Yocum.
Applications are due by 5pm (Central time) on Tuesday, April 19. BEFORE you begin, please note:
- Pre-registration is required.
- Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- New Dances 2022 is dedicated to creating a safe space for artists, and in that spirit, fully-vaccinated individuals, as defined by the most up-to-date CDC guidelines, are invited to apply. Providing proof of vaccination will be part of the pre-registration process.
- As New Dances is focused on supporting artists who have made a commitment to the Chicago community, please respect the residency requirement: Dancers must reside in Chicago or a suburb of Chicago as of April 19, 2022.
New Dances 2022 venue partners are Dovetail Studios, Ruth Page Center for the Arts, and The Athenaeum Center.
- Sunday, April 24, 1pm-4pm: Dancer Audition at Dovetail Studios.
- Monday – Friday, June 6 – 10, 9:30am-4:30pm: Classes and rehearsals at Dovetail Studios
- Saturday, June 11, 10am – 2pm: Showing for Mentorship Panel at Dovetail Studios
- Monday – Friday, June 13 – 17, 9:30am-4:30pm: Classes and rehearsals at Ruth Page Center for the Arts
- Tuesday – Sunday, June 21 – 26 (Day and Evening times TBA): Tech Week and Performances at The Athenaeum Center, Studio A
Selected Chicago-based dancers will receive:
- An invitation to be part of the New Dances 2022 Company, joining with DanceWorks Chicago dancers, training, rehearsing, performing, building community.
- An honorarium of $550 to cover the three-week creative and performance period.
- Access to PT sessions provided by Athletico Physical Therapy.
This program is partially supported by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency.