DanceWorks Chicago is excited to continue our partnership with Thodos Dance Chicago on New Dances 2020, the 20th anniversary of New Dances under the TDC umbrella!
CALLING ALL DANCEMAKERS: Emerging and mid-career choreographers in the Chicago Dance Community are invited to apply to create new work to be produced in New Dances 2020 this June at Theater Wit!
Interested in being a New Dances 2020 company dancer? Visit our Dancer Audition Page!
Applications are due by noon (Central time) on Sunday, March 1.
• Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
• As New Dances is focused on supporting artists who have made a commitment to the Chicago community, please respect the RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Choreographer must be living in Chicago or a suburb of Chicago as of March 1, 2020.
• All applicants will hear of the status of their application by Sunday, March 15 by 5 pm.
• Sunday, April 5, 11am – 2pm: Dancer Audition & Choreographer Meeting at the Ruth Page Center for the Arts
• Monday – Friday, June 1 – 5 and Monday – Friday, June 8 – 12, 9:30am-4:30pm: Rehearsals at Ballet Chicago
• Saturday, June 6, 10am – 2pm (to be confirmed): Showing for Mentorship Panel at Ballet Chicago
• Monday – Saturday, June 15 – 20 (exact times to be announced): Tech Week and Performances at Theater Wit
Thodos Dance Chicago and DanceWorks Chicago are excited to build on last season’s sold-out series and continue a shared tradition of developing choreographic talent while serving and supporting Chicago’s dance community. Part of Chicago’s dance history for over 30 years, New Dances offers Chicago-based choreographers the opportunity to develop work with a community of professional dancers and share their creations with an engaged audience. New Dances 2020 venue partners are Ballet Chicago, Ruth Page Center for the Arts, and Theater Wit. Press release available HERE.
SELECTED CHICAGO-AREA CHOREOGRAPHERS WILL BE GIVEN:
• 25 hours of creative time in the Ballet Chicago studios + tech/production time at Theater Wit
• Access to the New Dances Company artists (including DanceWorks Chicago dancers) for casting for the purposes of creating a NEW Dance.
• Feedback and mentoring from a panel of seasoned and established members of Chicago’s dance community.
• An honorarium of $550 to cover the creation of the work from studio to stage and teaching of one company class during the creative period.
• A professionally-filmed digitized copy of the new work
This program is partially supported by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency.