DanceWorks Chicago Chicago is excited to continue our partnership with Thodos Dance Chicago on New Dances 2020, the 20th anniversary of New Dances under the TDC umbrella!
CALLING ALL DANCERS: Dancers in the Chicago Dance Community are invited to apply to join the New Dances Company. Please complete the Dancer Registration Form in order to attend the audition on Sunday, April 5 at 11am at Ruth Page Center for the Arts. New Dances Choreographers; Melissa Thodos, Artistic Director Thodos Dance Chicago; and Julie Nakagawa, Artistic Director DanceWorks Chicago, will conduct the audition. New Dances Choreographers will assess applicants and invitations will be extended to a select group of dancers. Each applicant will hear back regarding the status of their application by Monday, April 20 at 5pm.
Interested choreographing a new, original work for New Dances 2020? Visit the New Dances Choreographer Application Page!
BEFORE you begin, please note:
As New Dances is focused on supporting artists who have made a commitment to the Chicago community, please respect the residency requirement: Dancers must be living in Chicago or a suburb of Chicago as of April 5, 2020.
Pre-registration is REQUIRED and DUE by noon (Central time) on Friday, April 3.
• Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
• Monday – Friday, June 1 – 5 and Monday – Friday, June 8 – 12, 9:30am-4:30pm: Rehearsals at Ballet Chicago
• Saturday, June 6, 10am – 2pm (to be confirmed): Showing for Mentorship Panel at Ballet Chicago
• Monday – Saturday, June 15 – 20 (exact times to be announced): Tech Week and Performances at Theater Wit
Thodos Dance Chicago and DanceWorks Chicago are excited to build on last season’s sold out series and continue a shared tradition of developing choreographic talent while serving and supporting Chicago’s dance community. Part of Chicago’s dance history for over 30 years, New Dances offers Chicago-based choreographers the opportunity to develop work with a community of professional dancers and share their creations with an engaged audience. New Dances 2020 venue partners are Ballet Chicago, Ruth Page Center for the Arts, and Theater Wit. Press release available HERE.
Selected Chicago-based dancers will receive:
• An invitation to be part of the New Dances Company, joining with DanceWorks Chicago dancers, training, rehearsing, performing, building community
• An honorarium of $550 to cover the three-week creative and performance period.