DanceWorks Chicago is excited to partner with Thodos Dance Chicago on NEW Dances 2019!
CALLING ALL DANCEMAKERS: Emerging and mid-career choreographers in the Chicago Dance Community are invited to apply to create new work to be produced in NEW Dances 2019 this June in the Black Box Studio 2 at the Athenaeum Theatre!
Interested in being a NEW Dances 2019 company dancer? Visit our Dancer Audition Page!
Applications are due by noon (Central time) on Wednesday, March 20. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. As NEW Dances is focused on supporting artists who have made a commitment to the Chicago community, please respect the residency requirements as stated in the application.
– Dancer Audition and Choreographer Meeting: Sunday, April 7, 11am- 3pm
– Rehearsals: Monday-Saturday, June 3-7 and Monday-Friday, June 10-14, 9:30am-4:30pm
– Panelist showing date of works in progress: Saturday, June 8, 10am-2pm
– Tech Week and Performances: The week of June 17th (dates/times to be announced)
Thodos Dance Chicago and DanceWorks Chicago are excited to build on last season’s pilot collaboration and continue a shared tradition of developing choreographic talent while serving and supporting Chicago’s dance community. Part of Chicago’s dance history for over 30 years, NEW Dances offers Chicago-based choreographers the opportunity to develop work with a community of professional dancers and share their creations with an engaged audience. NEW Dances 2019 venue partners include Athenaeum Theatre, Ballet Chicago, and Ruth Page Center for the Arts. Press release available HERE.
Selected Chicago-area choreographers will be given:
– 25 hours of creative time in the Ballet Chicago studios + tech/production time in the Black Box Studio 2 at the Athenaeum Theatre,
– Access to the NEW Dances Company artists (including DanceWorks Chicago dancers) for casting for the purposes of creating a NEW Dance,
– Feedback and mentoring from a panel of seasoned and established members of Chicago’s dance community,
– An honorarium of $550 to cover the creation of the work from studio to stage and teaching of one company class during the creative period.