DanceWorks Chicago is excited to partner with Thodos Dance Chicago on NEW Dances 2019!
CALLING ALL DANCERS: Dancers in the Chicago Dance Community are invited to apply to join the NEW Dances Company. Please complete the Dancer Registration Form in order to attend the audition on Sunday, April 7 at 11am at Ruth Page Center for the Arts. NEW Dances Choreographers; Melissa Thodos, Artistic Director Thodos Dance Chicago; and Julie Nakagawa, Artistic Director DanceWorks Chicago, will conduct the audition. NEW Dances choreographers will assess applicants and invitations will be extended to a select group of dancers. Each applicant will hear back regarding the status of their application by Saturday, March 30.
Interested choreographing a new, original work for NEW Dances 2019? Visit the NEW Dances Choreographer Application Page!
Applications are due by noon (Central time) on Friday, April 5. Pre-registration is required. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. As NEW Dances is focused on supporting artists who have made a commitment to the Chicago community, please respect the residency requirements as stated in the application.
– Dancer Audition: Sunday, April 7, 11am- 2pm
– Rehearsals: Monday-Saturday, June 3-7 and Monday-Friday, June 10-14, 9:30am-4:30pm
– Panelist showing date of works in progress: Saturday, June 8, 10am-2pm
– Tech Week and Performances: The week of June 17th (dates/times to be announced)
Thodos Dance Chicago and DanceWorks Chicago are excited to build on last season’s pilot collaboration and continue a shared tradition of developing choreographic talent while serving and supporting Chicago’s dance community. Part of Chicago’s dance history for over 30 years, NEW Dances offers Chicago-based choreographers the opportunity to develop work with a community of professional dancers and share their creations with an engaged audience. NEW Dances 2019 venue partners include Athenaeum Theatre, Ballet Chicago, and Ruth Page Center for the Arts. Press release available HERE.
Selected Chicago-based dancers will receive:
– An invitation to be part of the NEW Dances Company, joining with DanceWorks Chicago dancers, training, rehearsing, performing, building commUNITY, and
– An honorarium of $550 to cover the three-week creative and performance period.