UPDATE: DanceWorks Chicago is dedicated to creating a safe space for artists and audiences, now more so than ever. In alignment with the extension of the State of Illinois’ Shelter in Place directive, Team DWC has pushed “pause” on our menu of in-person offerings (including DayLabs) through August 15.
Video auditions will be assessed on a rolling admissions basis, and applications will be accepted until the program is full. In alignment with Dance360 values around individual growth, there will only be 16 places available for each week of DanceForce and ChoreoLab programming.
Video Audition Checklist
- Application Form
- $30 Application Fee
- Video URL
- Two Photos: Head Shot and Dance Shot
- One-Page Résumé
Video URL Requirements
YouTube, Vimeo, or Google Drive work great!
- Length: 15-20 minutes total
- Include only work that has been performed/recorded in the past six months
- SPECIAL NOTE: Your safety is a priority, so please submit as much material as is reasonable and safe in your dance space.
- Please introduce yourself at the beginning of the video.
- Start with ballet technique including center work, if possible:
- Tendu/dégagé exercise with port de bras and épaulement
- Adagio including développés front, side, back as well as a promenade
- Pirouette combination including pirouettes en dehors and en dedans
- Petit allegro exercise including batterie
- Continue with jazz, contemporary, or modern choreography
- Two different pieces, two to five minutes each
- Solo work is ideal; however, if group work is submitted, please identify yourself at the beginning of the segment
- Choreography should highlight technical ability as well as personal voice/style to share who you are rather than merely what you can do.
- Include a variety of dance elements such as level changes (floor work), movement through space, musicality, etc.
- A head shot that looks like YOU!
- Dance shot: Dance360 is focused on the whole person, so select an image that provides insight into who you are as a dancer and a human!
A one-page résumé (PDF or MS Word document) to include the following:
- Contact information
- Training (current school plus previous consistent training and impactful workshops/intensives)
- Performance experience
- Academic achievements, if applicable
- Service recognition, if applicable
- Reference: a dance teacher/mentor/choreographer, including first and last name, relationship to you, organizational affiliation, and e-address.